1. It was a dark and stormy night, and I was putting the final finishing touches on my breathtakingly glorious entry for the Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest.
2. The almost-overdue library books were on the verge of costing a lot of money in fines, and my husband was making dinner, so I offered to take the books myself.
3. Rushing out, I happened to notice a shadow lurking behind the wind-stripped rhododendron near the front door.
4. I tried to ignore it. I rushed to the car, feeling more nervous than I cared to admit, and threw the books onto the passenger seat. A sudden noise startled me. Was it...? Yes... I think I heard a howl!
5. Shhhh... I sat still, waiting, listening. Suddenly, a werewolf jumped toward the car, snarling and brandishing a ripped plastic treat bag.
6. "Trick or treat, smell my feet, give me something good to eat!" the werewolf shrieked. I screamed, rolled down the window, and hurled a book at the werewolf. Then I started the car and drove off with a screech of tires that barely masked the werewolf's furious howl.
7. And as for the weekend, tonight I'm looking forward to sleeping, tomorrow my plans include getting prepared for trick-or-treaters who know what day Halloween is (unlike that werewolf) and Sunday, I want to find that library book so I don't have to pay the fine; I just hope the werewolf didn't shred it too badly!