Thursday, October 1, 2009

Booking Through Thursday (7)



Booking Through Thursday asks:

Two-thirds of Brits have lied about reading books they haven’t. Have you? Why? What book?

I'm ashamed to say that I have lied about reading books. All of my literary lies were told when I was in school. Some books I just couldn't get into, but I had to write papers on them... so I used Coles Notes instead. I think I did this with Tess of the d'Urbervilles, Great Expectations, and Joseph Andrews. So I'll admit it now: I haven't read those books in their entirety (and I have no desire to do so, either).

I don't think I would ever lie about reading a book just to make myself look more learned, though. Besides... you don't know if the person you're lying to has read the book; if they have, that could be one awkward conversation!

3 comments:

  1. Good answer, I didn't even think of school assignments! I'm sure there are plenty of those I said I read when I didnt! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never lie about books. Even if it results in a dirty look or mental stoning ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is clearly something wrong with me. I read even the bad books for school. Faster and less effort then finding the information elsewhere before we had internet at home.

    I lie when I'm lent a book I don't like or don't want to read.

    ReplyDelete