Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Favorite Fictional Character (12)

This week's favourite is great in print and on the screen. Her name is Bridget Jones.

I can't actually remember if I read the book or saw the movie first. I think I probably saw the original movie first (but I read the sequel before it was adapted for the screen). While some people don't agree with the casting choice for Bridget or think that the movies stray too far from the plots of the books, I can't help but enjoy almost everything about Bridget Jones. The essence of the character remains basically the same so, judged on their own, both the books and the movies are pretty good.

I could not believe some of the nonsense that went on in the books. There were some pretty hilarious incidents that never made it into the movies. So I would definitely recommend reading the books, even if you've already seen the films.

In doing a bit of research for this post, I found out that Helen Fielding resurrected Bridget Jones in 2005 in a column in The Independent, which ran until the summer of 2006. It seems that things have taken a rather disturbing turn; considering how the movie for The Edge of Reason ended, I doubt that these new columns will ever make it onto the screen. Without spoiling anything, let me just say that I always knew that Bridget wasn't the brightest bulb... but I didn't think she was that idiotic.

So I guess Bridget Jones is a favourite character... as she appeared in Bridget Jones's Diary and Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason. I know authors can do what they like with their characters, but honestly. If they're going to go and totally mess everything up, well... it's almost enough to make you want to feed them to a pack of wild Alsatians*.

*Not really, of course. If you've read the books, you'll understand the reference.

The Favorite Fictional Character meme was started by Ryan G. at Wordsmithonia.

8 comments:

  1. Cute! Can you believe I've never read this. I actually won the book recently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love both books AND both movies even though I'm not a Renee fan. The books are wicked funny though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only seen the first movie and I enjoyed it but not enough to ever pick up the book. Good choice this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yknow, I loved the books, but I might be the only person in the world who was more annoyed by Bridget in the movies than anything else.
    I just couldn't really see how the guys were falling for her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read both books and thought they were funny. Did see both films, but I have to say the first film was better than the last.

    I'll have to look up her column now. You have me curious now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, I don't think I have seen the movie and I know I didn't read the books. This is a new character for me. Thanks for sharing her! I like when I meet new characters through this meme. I, unfortunately, did not do the meme this week. I got caught up with other things last night. Great Pick!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a great choice! I love, love, LOVE Bridget, and I do believe her clumsiness resonates with the insecurities we all live with.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore Bridget, I really do, and I say this as someone who rarely picks up a non-YA title. Prefer the books to the movies though.

    ReplyDelete