Friday, November 6, 2009

Friday Firsts (5)


The first line can make or break a reader’s interest. Just how well did the author pull you in to the story with their first sentence? To participate in this weekly book meme is extremely easy.

  • Grab the book you are currently reading and open to the first page.
  • Write down the first sentence in the first paragraph.
  • Create a blog post with this information. (Make sure to include the title & author of the book you are using. Even an ISBN helps!)
  • Did this first sentence help draw you into the story? Why or why not?
My current fiction read is The Dust of 100 Dogs by A. S. King. The first line is:
With one last, almighty roar, the Frenchman fell to his knees and died.
So far, I don't know what to think about this book. All I know is that, if something interesting doesn't happen soon, I'm probably going to abandon it (and I hate abandoning books). This first line is definitely a hook; so is the rest of the first chapter of the book, with its Caribbean setting and piratey stuff. Unfortunately, it gets pretty darn boring pretty darn fast, and even the flashbacks aren't helping to hold my interest.

4 comments:

  1. I guess that's a catchy first sentence. I don't think it's my type of book though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you feel that way. :( I admit the story moves along rather slowly but I really enjoyed the book. You changed the layout! It looks so cute x)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a shame that the book is so boring. That first line does have a catch to it to get you going. Hope it turns around for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I loved Dust of 100 Dogs. It's one of the most unusual YA titles I've read. Keep with it!

    ReplyDelete