Thursday, April 4, 2019

Review - Manfish: A Story of Jacques Cousteau

Manfish: A Story of Jacques Cousteau
by Jennifer Berne
illustrated by Éric Puybaret
Date: 2008
Publisher: Chronicle Books
Reading level: C
Book type: picture book non-fiction
Pages: 32
Format: e-book
Source: library

Before Jacques Cousteau became an internationally known oceanographer and champion of the seas, he was a curious little boy. In this lovely biography, poetic text and gorgeous paintings combine to create a portrait of Jacques Cousteau that is as magical as it is inspiring.

(synopsis from Goodreads)

When I read a biography--even in picture-book format--I have certain expectations. It can't just be airy-fairy text and illustrations without giving me specific facts. While this book does offer some information about Jacques Cousteau's life and what he did, it fails to offer even the basics such as when he actually lived. I shouldn't have to Google that after the fact (unfortunately, that information wasn't even included in the author's note).

The illustrations are nice, but kind of bland. I wasn't really engaged, and I found myself flipping past them rather than really examining them. This is a book about the wonderful world under the sea! If it was meant to inspire me, it didn't do a very good job.

So this was a bit of a disappointment. Jacques Cousteau was probably a fascinating man... but you wouldn't necessarily know it from this little biography.

Premise: 3/5
Meter: n/a
Writing: 2/5
Illustrations: 3/5
Originality: 2/5

Enjoyment: 1/5

Overall: 2 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment