Saturday, April 27, 2019

Review - Fly Guy Presents: Weather

Fly Guy Presents: Weather (Fly Guy Presents)
by Tedd Arnold
Date: 2016
Publisher: Scholastic Inc.
Reading level: C
Book type: picture book non-fiction
Pages: 37
Format: e-book
Source: library

It's time for a field trip! Fly Guy and Buzz are going to a weather station to learn all about weather. With straightforward text, humorous asides, and kid-friendly full-bleed photographs throughout, young readers will love learning about tornadoes, hurricanes, blizzards, and much more! Award-winning author/illustrator Tedd Arnold really brings nonfiction to life for beginning readers! And this book has eye-catching holographic foil on the front cover!

(synopsis from Goodreads)

This is actually a surprisingly strong non-fiction title about weather. I'm not familiar with Fly Guy, but you don't really need to be to get something out of this book. It's full of facts and pictures, teaching kids about weather and climate in an easy-to-understand way. We learn about precipitation, wind, jobs to do with weather, climates, and even a bit about climate change. The book makes the same ineffectual suggestions for saving the planet as most other children's books I've read (i.e., turn off lights, take shorter showers, plant a tree), but I've resigned myself to the fact that that's all we're going to get.

The information is laid out quite nicely, so it's all clear and easy to digest. Pronunciation of more difficult words is included (although, I found it kind of hilarious; when I said some of the words out loud, I found myself speaking with an American accent).

I didn't learn much that I didn't already know, but I can see this being a great title for kids. And if they're already fans of Fly Guy... that's even better!

Quotable moment:


Premise: 4/5
Meter: n/a
Writing: 4/5
Illustrations: 3/5
Originality: 4/5

Enjoyment: 3/5

Overall: 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment