Thursday, April 18, 2019

Review - How to Catch the Easter Bunny

How to Catch the Easter Bunny
by Adam Wallace
illustrated by Andy Elkerton
Date: 2017
Publisher: Sourcebooks Jabberwocky
Reading level: C
Book type: picture book
Pages: 40
Format: e-book
Source: library

Is this the year you'll be able to catch the Easter bunny in action? Start an Easter tradition with this fun and funny children's book, from the New York Times bestselling creators of How to Catch a Leprechaun!

"I've been working long and hard with all my peeps and crew. We've made the eggs, and now I'm here to bring them all to you!"

(synopsis from Goodreads)

I'm afraid I don't get it. I know the title of this book is How to Catch the Easter Bunny, but I don't understand why the Easter Bunny himself is detailing all the traps. Is trying to catch the Easter Bunny a thing? That wouldn't even have occurred to my sister and me when we were little. How would he deliver goodies to all the other kids if we caught him? (Maybe greedy little kids who want all the Easter eggs to themselves could go along with this premise. But the idea would have to be planted in their heads first.)

I don't like these books about trying to catch mythological creatures. (I had similar issues with How to Trap a Leprechaun by Sue Fliess and Emma Randall.) It's basically encouraging kidnapping, which I don't think is all that healthy a thing to be teaching. Okay, the rhyme scheme in this one is okay and the pictures are passable... but I just can't wrap my brain around the Easter Bunny suggesting all kinds of ways to trap him. How is that any different from a book with a deer talking about how you could hunt him down?

"You could use a great big rifle
or a trap upon the ground.
If you hear an awful screaming,
then it's me who made that sound."

(from the never-to-be published How to Catch Bambi)

I wasn't impressed. Maybe I should've known better going into this book what I was going to get. Still, I didn't expect the quarry to be giving the suggestions. That's just weird.

Premise: 2/5
Meter: 3/5
Writing: 3/5
Illustrations: 3/5
Originality: 2/5

Enjoyment: 2/5

Overall: 2.43 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment