Saturday, April 20, 2019

Review - P. J. Funnybunny Camps Out

P. J. Funnybunny Camps Out (P. J. Funnybunny #7)
by Marilyn Sadler
illustrated by Roger Bollen
Date: 1994
Publisher: Random House Books for Young Readers
Reading level: C
Book type: picture book
Pages: 32
Format: e-book
Source: library

Camping is not for girls, right? At least, that's what P.J. and his pals tell Donna and Honey Bunny when they want to tag along on a camping trip. But when two mysterious ghosts frighten the boys all the way home, only the girls know the real story.

(synopsis from Goodreads)

This book is sexist. Yes, I understand that the girls are proving (in the background) that the boys are wrong, but I'm afraid that message might be too subtle and can't compete with the boys' repeated assertions that girls are incapable of camping or being unafraid. Where did these little misogynists-in-training learn their ideas? I think that's the thing I find most disturbing.

The boys have a tough time camping. They pretty much mess everything up. Then, when it comes time for ghost stories, they see a couple of "real" ghosts (which turn out to be the sister and her friend). That's all fine and good, but the book doesn't actually show the girls being capable, so the boys' assertions about their abilities goes unchallenged.

The pictures are okay, but nothing special. This is my first exposure to P. J. Funnybunny, and I have to say, I'm not impressed. If I want to see this sort of dated sexism, I'll go watch some old episodes of Our Gang with the "He-Man Woman-Haters Club". At least those are entertaining.

Premise: 2/5
Meter: n/a
Writing: 2/5
Illustrations: 2/5
Originality: 2/5

Enjoyment: 1/5

Overall: 1.67 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment