Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday - Top Four Books I've Read So Far This Year

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted at The Broke and the Bookish.

This week's topic is Top Ten Books I've Read So Far This Year.  I've barely read more than ten books since the beginning of the year!  A couple of them have been real stinkers, so I'm not about to include them in a top ten list.  Instead, I've listed the four books that have come out on top.  Two of them are historical novels written in free verse.  The other two are contemporary novels set in Australia.  I certainly surprised myself; I thought I wasn't a huge fan of historical or contemporary!  Here are my top three reads of 2014 (so far):

4.
 
Surrender by Sonya Hartnett

I gave this novel, told in flashbacks, 4 ladybugs out of 5.
Read my review here.

3.
 
The Lightning Dreamer by Margarita Engle

I gave this historical novel about a Cuban poet, written in free verse, 4.14 ladybugs out of 5.
Read my review here.

2.
 
Out of the Dust by Karen Hesse

I gave this historical novel about the Dust Bowl, written in free verse, 4.43 ladybugs out of 5.
Read my review here.

1.
 
Stolen by Lucy Christopher

I gave this novel, written in epistolary format, 4.57 ladybugs out of 5.
Read my review here.

1 comment:

  1. I feel ya! I just finished my finals in May and before that it was just a whirlwind of studying, so I barely got any reading (if any) done at all. The only one I've heard of that's on your list is Stolen by Lucy Christopher. So glad that you enjoyed it! I've been hearing SO MUCH about Christopher's books lately, especially of The Killing Woods (which is up next on my to-read list), so I'm definitely looking forward to reading something by her and getting wowed.

    I wish I could say that I was a fan of free-verse novels, but I'm not really. They're nice, much better than reading raw poetry, anyway, but in the end, I still prefer traditional books. I do love the cover for The Lightning Dreamer. Illustrated covers are the best. <3

    Anyway, hopefully with summer here we'll both have more time to read and find new favorites! I haven't read that many good books either. Most of them were 2 - 3.5 stars. Eh. :/

    ReplyDelete