Saturday, October 16, 2010

In My Mailbox (23)


Bought:
Mockingjay
by Suzanne Collins

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice.  But now that she's made it out of the bloody arena alive, she's still not safe.  The Capitol is angry.  The Capitol wants revenge.  Who do they think should pay for the unrest?  Katniss.  And what's worse, President Snow has made it clear that no one else is safe either.  Not Katniss's family, not her friends, not the people of District 12.

From NetGalley:
The Vespertine
by Saundra Mitchell

The summer of 1889 is the one between childhood and womanhood for Amelia van den Broek — and thankfully, she’s not spending it at home in rural Maine.  She’s been sent to Baltimore to stay with her stylish cousin, Zora, who will show her all the pleasures of city life and help her find a suitable man to marry.

With diversions ranging from archery in the park to dazzling balls and hints of forbidden romance, Victorian Baltimore is more exciting than Amelia imagined.  But her gaiety is interrupted by disturbing, dreamlike visions she has only at sunset — visions that offer glimpses of the future.  Soon, friends and strangers alike call on Amelia to hear her prophecies.  Newly dubbed "Maine’s Own Mystic", Amelia is suddenly quite in demand.

However, her attraction to Nathaniel, an artist who is decidedly outside of Zora's circle, threatens the new life Amelia is building in Baltimore.  This enigmatic young man is keeping secrets of his own — still, Amelia finds herself irrepressibly drawn to him.  And while she has no trouble seeing the futures of others, she cannot predict whether Nathaniel will remain in hers.

When one of her darkest visions comes to pass, Amelia's world is thrown into chaos.  And those around her begin to wonder if she’s not the seer of dark portents, but the cause.

I finally got Mockingjay!  Now I just have to get a chance to read it.  And doesn't The Vespertine sound cool?  I can't wait to read that one.



What was in your "mailbox" this week?



In My Mailbox was started by Kristi of The Story Siren.

7 comments:

  1. Ooo I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the second one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Reading!! The Vespertine looks good, but I don't need to add to my TBR right now :) Here is my mailbox
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I got The Vespertine from Netgalley too! :D So happy <3 I can't wait to read it! I also got a copy of Mockingjay this week! I'm trying to race through my studying and reviews so I can get a chance to read it. xD

    Here's my IMM this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mockingjay is fantastic! Enjoy!

    Vespertine sounds very intriguing and I know that you're going to have to let me know if I should get it too.

    Enjoy the reads :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy Mockingjay! It was not my favorite of the trilogy but definitely a fitting ending to the saga. I will be interested to read your thoughts on it.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Vespertine has a beautiful cover, I hope it's good. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do hope you enjoy Mockingjay. I am curious to read your thoughts on it when you get through it. :) Have to say the blog is looking beautiful. :) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete