Saturday, December 19, 2009

Share-A-Book Saturday (16)

This is something I found over on Just Another Book Addict =), and I thought I'd do my own. There are so many great books out there that get overlooked (especially if they've been out for a while)!

Every Saturday, you share (recommend) a book, preferably one that you haven't reviewed yet. It's just a way to get other books out into the blogging world. This is NOT a review.

Today I'm going to recommend (and I can't believe I'm doing this) The Twits by Roald Dahl.

Mr. and Mrs. Twit are the smelliest, nastiest, ugliest people in the world. They hate everything... except playing mean jokes on each other, catching unsuspecting birds to put in their bird pies, and making their caged monkeys, the Muggle-Wumps, stand on their heads all day. But the Muggle-Wumps have had enough. With the help of Roly-Poly Bird, they set out to get some well-deserved revenge.

I read this book ages ago, probably around the time I read The Witches (another good Roald Dahl story). But while The Witches is creepy, The Twits is... well, pretty disgusting. The Twits themselves are disgusting... but hilariously so. Some of the descriptions of this pair are enough to make you recoil and say, "Ewww!" Fair warning.

But I can imagine that this would be a great book that might help encourage a reluctant young male reader. I thought it was pretty funny (but then again, I appreciated a certain amount of crass humour as a kid).

No comments:

Post a Comment