Monday, September 6, 2010

Monday's Question of the Day (19)


Monday's Question of the Day is hosted by Eleni at /-LA FEMME READERS-/

Question:
How do you feel about edgy Young Adult books? Do you mind when there is cursing or sexual moments? If you do mind, why do you feel it's inappropriate?

My Answer:
To be honest, I don't really mind if there's cursing or sexual moments. I'm over 30, after all; I think I can handle it.

When I come across overt sexuality or gratuitous cursing in young adult books, though, it does give me pause. I find myself wondering how I would have felt if I'd read that book when I was a teenager. I don't remember a lot of sex, violence, or bad language in the books I read back then. I'm not sure if those things were in YA fiction at all or if I just wasn't reading those particular books.


No comments:

Post a Comment