Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Teaser Tuesdays (1)



Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading.

Today's Teaser:

"Eliza Bennet," said Miss Bingley, when the door was closed on her, "is one of those young ladies who seek to recommend themselves to the other sex by undervaluing their own; and with many men, I daresay, it succeeds; but, in my opinion, it is a paltry device, a very mean art."

"Undoubtedly," replied Darcy, to whom this remark was chiefly addressed, "there is a meanness in all the arts which ladies sometimes condescend to employ for captivation. Whatever bears affinity to cunning is despicable."

~ page 33 (probably varies by edition) - Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Meow! I guess catty women aren't a new phenomenon. And yes, I know that was three sentences; I didn't want to cut Mr. Darcy off in mid-thought.

2 comments:

  1. I read Pride and Prejudice earlie this year and LOVED it! I've got a couple of good teasers this week. Here's a link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quote! The whole book is full of them, but that one really paints Miss Bingley as she is. Nice teaser!

    ReplyDelete