Monday, October 14, 2019

Review - I Broke My Butt!

I Broke My Butt!
by Dawn McMillan
illustrated by Ross Kinnaird
Date: 2019
Publisher: Dover Publications
Reading level: C
Book type: picture book
Pages: 32
Format: e-book
Source: NetGalley

The inventive young hero from the bestselling I Need a New Butt! is back and this time he has accidentally glued a serving tray to his behind — and he's tickled pink! See, it's great for sliding down hills, surfing big waves, and other booty-full fun and games. Now all his friends want one too! Another cracked farce from the cheeky team of Dawn McMillan and Ross Kinnaird.

(synopsis from Goodreads)

This is apparently the second book about this cheeky (sorry) kid. I haven't read the first one, but this seems to stand well enough on its own.

In somewhat clunky rhyme, the narrator tells us his tale of woe. He's fallen and broken his butt. I mean, it's shattered in pieces. When he takes off his pants, those pieces go tumbling onto the floor. So what does he do? He glues them back together. Unfortunately, when he goes to glue his butt back on, the tray he was using as a work surface becomes adhered to him as well. But he soon finds a way to make the best of things, even eventually deciding that having a tray glued to your butt has more benefits than drawbacks.

I have to admit, I cracked (sorry) a few smiles while reading this. It's not fancy literature, and the narrative gets kind of weak toward the end. But young kids will probably gobble this up and be glued to their seats during storytime. It's fun for a few laughs.

Thank you to NetGalley and Dover Publications for providing a digital ARC.

Premise: 3/5
Meter: 2/5
Writing: 3/5
Illustrations: 3/5
Originality: 4/5

Enjoyment: 3/5

Overall: 3 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment