Sunday, June 9, 2019

Review - When I Feel Angry

When I Feel Angry (The Way I Feel)
by Cornelia Maude Spelman
illustrated by Nancy Cote
Date: 2000
Publisher: Albert Whitman & Company
Reading level: C
Book type: picture book
Pages: 24
Format: e-book
Source: library

Anger is a scary emotion for young children, their parents, and caregivers. As this little bunny experiences the things that make her angry, she also learns ways to deal with her anger—ways that won’t hurt others.

(synopsis from Goodreads)

What is it with books about dealing with anger that encourages children to run away? I encountered the same thing in Molly Bang's When Sophie Gets Angry--Really, Really Angry... and I think it's just as problematic here.

Dealing with anger is important, but I'm not sure how helpful this book is going to be. Yes, anger can be felt for many reasons, but quite a few of the instances in this book seem to point to different emotions (unless this particular bunny rabbit just gets angry over everything); jealousy, embarrassment, disappointment, and frustration are all possible alternatives for some of the scenarios presented in this book. But the bunny simply gets angry. (She's drawn with a perpetual scowl, which is rather off-putting.)

The book also introduces the idea that it's someone else's fault. While that may be true, it's also true that we can't change other people. Saying, "Maybe someone else needs to be different. Maybe someone needs to be nicer to me, or to stop being unfair," runs the risk of having the child take no responsibility for their feelings. It's always easier to blame someone else.

I'm sure there must be some good books about helping children deal with anger, but I've yet to find one. I've read two so far that encourage children to run away when they feel anger, potentially putting them at risk.

Premise: 2/5
Meter: n/a
Writing: 2/5
Illustrations: 2/5
Originality: 2/5

Enjoyment: 2/5

Overall: 2 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment