Saturday, June 8, 2019

Review - I Love Me

I Love Me
by Sally Morgan
illustrated by Ambelin Kwaymullina
Date: 2016
Publisher: Fremantle Press
Reading level: C
Book type: picture book
Pages: 28
Format: e-book
Source: NetGalley

I Love Me is a vibrant, multi-colored board book that teaches kids one of life's most important lessons: self acceptance.

"I love my eyes, I love my nose, I love the way my curly hair grows!" Acclaimed Australian creators Sally Morgan and Ambelin Kwaymullina celebrate individuality and joyous self-esteem in bouncy, rhythmic prose and lively color. I Love Me is inclusive, fun, simple, and contains a necessary lesson for all about the positivity of self love.

(synopsis from Goodreads)

This type of book can be tricky. There's a fine line between self-esteem and egotism. This book, unfortunately, seems to cross that line. With lines like, "And I love, love, love me when I'm proud," and "I love the way my heart knows best," it's treading a dangerous line between self-acceptance and self-righteousness.

I found the pictures a bit creepy (especially the page where everyone--including the dog--was grinning) and overall too chaotic and colourful. I actually felt a bit exhausted when I finished this one. It's a bit of a sensory onslaught. In the case of something as subjective as art, though, tastes will vary; other readers might like the illustrations here more than I did.

I hoped to feel a little more empowered and confident after reading a book like this. I just feel tired from the distracting aesthetic and kind of turned off by the somewhat narcissistic tone of the text.

Thank you to NetGalley and Fremantle Press for providing a digital ARC.

Premise: 3/5
Meter: n/a
Writing: 2/5
Illustrations: 2/5
Originality: 3/5

Enjoyment: 1/5

Overall: 2 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment