Sunday, June 2, 2019

Review - Mommy! Mommy!

Mommy! Mommy!
by Taro Gomi
Date: 2013
Publisher: Chronicle Books (CA)
Reading level: C
Book type: picture book
Pages: 22
Format: e-book
Source: library

In this delightful ebook from international favorite Taro Gomi, two chicks embark on a quest to track down their mommy. But appearances can be deceiving, and the chicks stumble across several lookalikes before finally finding their mother hen. Young readers will love attempting their own search-and-find for signs of the missing chicken, and both parents and children will appreciate this book's sweet, reassuring message.

(synopsis from Goodreads)

It's difficult to say what will tickle a reader's fancy. This book, I'm sure, has its fans. But I would bet that they're probably all under the age of three.

The thin plot consists of two chicks yelling for their mom. She appears a couple of times, and then each time the chicks think they see her comb, they're actually mistaken. Eventually, they find her and she tells them it's time to go home. That's literally the entire story.

I might've viewed this one more favourably if I'd liked the illustrations. But I didn't. They're bright and colourful, but they're also too simple for my taste. I don't see what's so special about them.

This author/illustrator is supposedly famous, but I'd never heard of him. I don't think I'll be seeking out any more of his work, either, based on what I saw here.

Premise: 2/5
Meter: n/a
Writing: 2/5
Illustrations: 2/5
Originality: 2/5

Enjoyment: 1/5

Overall: 1.67 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment