Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Review - A Child's First Book of Poems

A Child's First Book of Poems
illustrated by Cyndy Szekeres
Date: 1981
Publisher: Golden Press
Reading level: C
Book type: illustrated poetry collection
Pages: 44
Format: e-book
Source: Open Library

(see it on Goodreads)



I was given a copy of this book as a child, and it quickly became one of my favourite poetry books. It was the illustrations that did it for me back then. But, looking at it now, I recognize what a nice selection of poems is in here.

I don't think I ever sat down and read the whole book at once as I just did today. Rather, I would've read (and reread) my favourites. There's a great selection of poets here, from A. A. Milne and Robert Louis Stevenson to Emily Dickinson and Christina Rosetti. I can't really complain about the choice of poems; they're all lovely and great for children.

The illustrations are what really make this a favourite, though. Cyndy Szekeres has such a distinctive style, and her critters are so cute. Her bunnies and mice are especially adorable.

This book doesn't appear to be in print anymore (so few of my childhood favourites are!) but if you can find a copy, I'd highly recommend taking a look!

Quotable moment:

The Huntsmen

Three jolly gentlemen,
   In coats of red,
Rode their horses
   Up to bed.

Three jolly gentlemen
   Snored till morn,
Their horses champing
   The golden corn.

Three jolly gentlemen,
   At break of day,
Came clitter-clatter down the stairs
   And galloped away.

Walter de la Mare


Premise: 4/5
Meter: 4/5
Writing & Editing: 4/5
Illustrations: 4/5
Originality: 4/5

Enjoyment: 5/5

Overall Rating: 4.29 out of 5 ladybugs

No comments:

Post a Comment