Saturday, March 2, 2019

Review - The Egg

The Egg
by Andy Weir
Date: 2009
Publisher: Andy Weir / Galactanet
Reading level: A
Book type: short story
Pages: 3
Format: e-book
Source: author's website

A short story about the universe.

(synopsis from Goodreads)



I think I've read this short story at some point. It seems awfully familiar. (Maybe I read it in another life...)

This is so short that I don't really want to say that much about the story. People can read and judge for themselves. Personally, I didn't find it that profound or astonishing, probably because I've read a lot of non-fiction titles in the same vein. So the story was just okay for me.

However, I do want to mention the editing. The story is on the author's website, and it seems to be suffering from some sort of autocorrect problem in the dialogue. Every time the man asks a question, his pronoun gets capitalized. I wasn't sure at first if it was intentional, but there were other instances later that made me realize it wasn't. Because the story is so short, there's absolutely no excuse for that error that repeats throughout the text. It would take just a few minutes to go through and clean it up, and the story would be that much better as a result.

Plot: 3/5
Characters: 3/5
Pace: 3/5
Writing & Editing: 2/5
Originality: 3/5

Enjoyment: 3/5

Overall Rating: 2.86 out of 5 ladybugs

No comments:

Post a Comment