Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Review - Go, Dog. Go!

Go, Dog. Go!
by P. D. Eastman
Date: 1961
Publisher: Random House Books for Young Readers
Reading level: C
Book type: picture book
Pages: 72
Format: e-book
Source: library

Reading goes to the dogs in this timeless Beginner Book edited by Dr. Seuss. From big dogs and little dogs to red, green, and blue dogs, dogs going up and dogs going fast... who knew dogs were so busy? And laughter will ensue at the repeated question “Do you like my hat?” Like P. D. Eastman’s classic Are You My Mother? Go, Dog. Go! has been a go-to favorite for over fifty years, leaving audiences of all breeds wagging their tails with delight.

(synopsis from Goodreads)

Holy crap! Why are P. D. Eastman books so long?! (No wonder my mom always hated reading us Are You My Mother? Seventy-two pages make for a long picture book.)

There's no real story to Go, Dog. Go! It's basically just a book of colours, sizes, prepositions, etc. featuring a multitude of dogs. There's plenty to look at. There's a repeating element of two dogs meeting and one asking the other if they like their hat. The pictures are interesting, and clearly show what the dogs are doing.

I'm not sure if this is really a book for storytime, or if it's more of a book that kids will want to look at on their own. (It's long for storytime, in any case.) I have vague memories of reading this one as a kid, but they're not strong enough for me to remember whether I liked it or not! As an adult, I found it okay, but I would dread reading this one aloud. It's just a bit long. And if there were an actual story, I might like it even more.

Quotable moment:


Premise: 3/5
Meter: n/a
Writing: 3/5
Illustrations: 3/5
Originality: 4/5

Enjoyment: 4/5

Overall: 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment