Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Review - Ada: My First Ada Lovelace

Ada: My First Ada Lovelace (My First Little People, BIG DREAMS)
by Mª Isabel Sánchez Vegara
illustrated by Zafouko Yamamoto
Date: 2019
Publisher: Lincoln Children's Books
Reading level: C
Book type: picture book non-fiction
Pages: 24
Format: e-book
Source: NetGalley

New, in the My First Little People, Big Dreams series: Introduce your littlest one to the world’s first computer programmer, Ada Lovelace.

Told in simple sentences, this young reader edition of the best-selling series is perfect to read out loud to little dreamers. This empowering series celebrates the important life stories of wonderful women of the world – and is now in available in a board format for little hands! These books make the lives of these role models accessible for the youngest children, providing a powerful message to inspire the next generation of outstanding people who will change the world!

(synopsis from Goodreads)

I didn't realize there were two versions of this book. This is the board book, which appears to be a little bit shorter. I don't know if there are any other differences.

The book tells the basic story of Ada Lovelace, although I think it might be a little too basic. I highly doubt that, when she met Charles Babbage, they walked around saying "1+2=3" and "3+1=4" like they were having a stimulating conversation. I'm also doubtful of the assertion that the code Ada came up with for Babbage's calculator "is the language computers use today".

The pictures here are okay, but kind of rough and juvenile. I'm guessing that each book in this series has a different illustrator. The illustrations here just didn't impress me that much.

I wouldn't mind having a look at the longer version of the book to see if there's anything I missed. I suppose this is okay for a board book, but for anyone a little bit older, it's probably going to seem simplistic and incomplete.

Thank you to NetGalley and Lincoln Children's Books for providing a digital ARC.

Premise: 3/5
Meter: n/a
Writing: 2/5
Illustrations: 2/5
Originality: 3/5

Enjoyment: 2/5

Overall: 2.33 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment