Sunday, November 28, 2010

In My Mailbox (28)


From the library:
The Book Thief
by Markus Zusak

It’s just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery....

Set during World War II in Germany, Markus Zusak’s groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist – books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau.

This is an unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul.

This is the first library book I've downloaded onto my e-reader.  I only get three weeks with it, though, so I'd better get reading!


What was in your "mailbox" this week?


In My Mailbox was started by Kristi of The Story Siren.

5 comments:

  1. I've heard great things about The Book Thief. I really want to read it as well!
    I hope you enjoy it :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard god things about this novel so I hope you love it. The library book on the Kindle is a cool idea.

    My Mailbox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm hopefully getting an ereader for Christmas, so maybe I'll be able to do that soon! And what a book to start with! That'll be a heavy 3 weeks! Took me a bit to get into, but then I was hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Book Thief has been sitting unread on my shelf for a year now! Yikes! I hope you enjoy it - maybe you'll be able to convince me to finally read it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do hope you enjoy the book. I've heard some good things about it, but didn't think it was one for me. I'm curious to see what you think of it. :) Enjoy and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete