Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Review - The Awakening

The Awakening (Darkest Powers #2)
by Kelley Armstrong
Date: 2009
Publisher: HarperCollins
Reading level: YA
Book type: prose novel
Pages: 360
Format: paperback
Source: Indigo

Chloe Saunders is on the run and raising hell. Literally.

Chloe Saunders is not your average supernatural teenager. Genetically altered at birth by a sinister team of scientists, she can barely control her terrifying powers. Now the team that created her has decided it's time to end the experiment. Permanently.

Now Chloe is running for her life along with a charming sorcerer, a troubled werewolf and a temperamental young witch. Together they have a chance for freedom - but can Chloe trust her new friends?

(synopsis from Goodreads)

Chloe Saunders is a necromancer, and she's on the run from the Edison Group, a shadowy organization that wants her (and her friends) dead.

I'm really getting into the series now, but I'm coming to the realization that these books don't really constitute a trilogy; they're more like parts one, two, and three of a single story. Now, there's nothing really wrong with that. It just gives me the impression that each book, individually, is a little bit light on plot.

While the first book was about Chloe discovering her powers, this second book is all about being on the run. Really, that's about all there is to it. We do get a little more information about the characters, and about the backstory that led to the situation Chloe and her friends are in now, but as far as a full plot... well, I'm having a little trouble figuring out what it is.

The writing took a little bit of a dip in this one (there was a really bad comma splice/dialog tag thing at one point that tripped me up), so my rating went down a bit there. But it's nothing that's going to stop me from reading the third book... when I can get my hands on it.

Plot: 2/5
Characters: 4/5
Pace: 2/5
Writing: 3/5
Originality: 4/5

Overall: 3 out of 5

4 comments:

  1. I like this series too - though I agree with the idea that they are more like 3 parts of one story. In fact, this book was my least favorite of all three.

    Did you know the author has another series planned for next year, same setting but different characters? I'm really looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only read the first book so far but I plan on reading the last two soon. Thanks for your thoughts on the book and the plot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have thought about giving this series a try, but I haven't had a chance to get to it.Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete