Saturday, August 10, 2013

A to Z Bookish Survey

I saw this at Respiring Thoughts, who got it from The Perpetual Page-Turner, and I thought it looked like a lot of fun.  I haven't done a survey in a while... and since it's Saturday and I don't have much else to do, I thought I'd give it a go:


Author you’ve read the most books from:

That would probably be Beverly Cleary... and I read most of those books decades ago!

Best Sequel Ever:

I'll let you know when I come across a halfway decent one.  Sequels are usually pretty disappointing (maybe because I have such high hopes for them).  Well, maybe I could say Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J. K. Rowling.  It was probably my favourite book of that whole series...

Currently Reading:

InterWorld by Neil Gaiman and Michael Reaves.

Drink of Choice While Reading:

Water.  Or HINT Water.  But, often, I get so engrossed in reading that I forget to drink at all!

E-reader or Physical Book?

A few months ago, I probably would have picked the physical book.  But the last few books I've read have been Kindle editions that I've read on my laptop.  So I'm not sure anymore.  If I'm enjoying the story, I don't really care what format it's in.

Fictional Character You Probably Would Have Actually Dated In High School:

Well, I can certainly tell you that it wouldn't have been one of the drop-dead gorgeous, supernatural hotties that populate today's YA scene.  Even if they had existed, they probably wouldn't have been interested in a plain, studious, superpower-less girl like me.  (You can tell I read mostly YA paranormals, can't you?)

Glad You Gave This Book A Chance:

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion.  I'd pretty much sworn off zombies when I heard about this book.  It was such a delightful surprise; I'm so glad I gave it a chance!

Hidden Gem Book:

Tiger Moon by Antonia Michaelis (quite literally, a "hidden gem" book; if you read it, you'll understand what I mean).

Important Moment in your Reading Life:

When an author killed off a beloved main character in the second book of a trilogy.  Before that, I didn't even realize that was possible.  My thoughts were along the lines of, "Is he allowed to do that?!"

Just Finished:

My most recent read was a DNF.  The last book I actually finished was Coffeehouse Angel by Suzanne Selfors.

Kinds of Books You Won’t Read:

I'm not really interested in erotica, adult chick-lit, horror, Christian fiction, terminal disease books, mysteries, or books about the LBGT experience.  That's not to say I won't read any of those (because I have read books in a few of those categories); they're just not things I normally gravitate towards.  If something is getting really good reviews, I might get curious enough to check it out.

Longest Book You’ve Read:

That would probably be Passage by Connie Willis.  And it was too long.

Major book hangover because of:

Warm Bodies.  I still haven't come down off that five-star high.

Number of Bookcases You Own:

Technically, just one.  But my books are also taking up shelf space in my closet, on (and in) my nightstand, and on my windowsill.

One Book You Have Read Multiple Times:

The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner.  And I rarely re-read anything.

Preferred Place To Read:

In bed.  Or at the computer ('cause trying to hold a laptop above my head makes my arms really tired).

Quote that inspires you/gives you all the feels from a book you’ve read:

I'm terrible at remembering quotes.  I'm sure there are some that I really like; I just can't recall what they are.

Reading Regret:

Reading Mockingjay.  I really didn't like how it wrapped up the series.  But I had to find out what happened next!

Series You Started And Need To Finish (all books are out in series):

The Wolves of Mercy Falls... Hush, Hush... His Dark Materials... Abhorsen... Jenna Fox Chronicles... The Queen's Thief...  As you can see, I'm terrible at finishing series.  To be fair, though, I've tried to finish four of these series and I lost interest along the way.  But I would still like to finish them one day...

Three of your All-Time Favorite Books:

Fire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones
Tiger Moon by Antonia Michaelis
Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Unapologetic Fangirl For:

Warm Bodies.  I will apologize because I'm sure people are sick of hearing about how much I loved this book.  But I won't apologize for liking it.

Very Excited For This Release More Than All The Others:

I don't let myself get that excited about new releases anymore.  I've been disappointed too many times.  I am looking forward to reading Laura Whitcomb's Under the Light, though.

Worst Bookish Habit:

If I'm reading a hardcover with a dust jacket, I use the jacket flaps as my bookmark.  It's not so bad when a book is short... but long, thick books tend to curl the flaps.

X Marks The Spot: Start at the top left of your shelf and pick the 27th book:

A Certain Slant of Light by Laura Whitcomb.

Your latest book purchase:

Outcast by Adrienne Kress.

ZZZ-snatcher book (last book that kept you up WAY late):

That would probably be one of the last physical books I read (which was The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff).

2 comments:

  1. Oh, you read Kindle editions on your laptop? I would think that'd be hard. I don't know, like I like being able to curl up with a book or take it with me places, and that's not easy to do with my laptop! I've sort of just settled with the idea I won't read an ebook until I get an ereader.

    I haven't read Warm Bodies, but saw the movie. I'm unsure if I ever will read the book. Do you thin one should even if they've seen the movie? I mean, I know the book is always better, but does it involve anything really different? I'm not sure what I'm trying to say there...

    And uhmm... I'd say it's okay if you don't finish the Wolves of Mercy Falls series ;) The third book was actually my favorite, but I wasn't really a fan of any of them. And those that I saw did like the first ones tended to be disappointed by the last. Meh.

    It's so much fun reading these surveys! Always something new to learn about bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Kindle and Kobo books on my laptop. I have a Kobo e-reader, but at the moment, it's buried under a pile of physical books with a dead battery. So e-books are being read on my computer for the time being.

    Yes, you should definitely read Warm Bodies, even if you've seen the movie. There are some differences, but the main themes are pretty much the same. With that book, it's not so much what happens as the way it was written; R's voice was absolutely unforgettable.

    I've got Linger as an e-book somewhere, but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I'm not sure if I want to. Every time I hear about the third book in a series that's disappointing, it makes me not want to continue with a trilogy.

    ReplyDelete