Monday, February 7, 2022

Review - My Butt Is SO SILLY!

My Butt Is SO SILLY!

by Dawn McMillan
illustrated by Ross Kinnaird
Date: 2022
Publisher: Dover Publications
Reading level: C
Book type: picture book
Pages: 32
Format: e-book
Source: NetGalley

Everyone's favorite character from I Need a New Butt!, I Broke My Butt!, and My Butt is So Noisy! is back in a hilarious new story about a silly butt that won't stop moving! The talented duo of children's author Dawn McMillan and illustrator Ross Kinnaird have created another delightful, laugh-out-loud tale of a bothersome backside that leads to all kinds of amusing adventures. The fun never stops, from the first page to the last of this newest book in the best-selling series.

(synopsis from Goodreads)

I think there's only so far you can take a joke. That distance might be a little greater if you're a kid that likes talking about butts.

I read I Broke My Butt! a couple of years ago, and while I didn't love it, I thought it was pretty silly and kids would likely enjoy it. My Butt Is SO SILLY! has the same problem as I Broke My Butt! (namely, the horribly executed metre of the rhyming text), and also introduces a level of absurdity that doesn't even make sense. How did the kid's butt end up square?!

As far as I can tell, this butt has a mind of its own. It never stops moving. At times, it made me uncomfortable, because it almost seemed like the kid had a disorder like dystonia, and making fun of medical conditions isn't funny.

Fans of the other books will probably like this one, too. But, as an adult reader, I wasn't that impressed. I liked I Broke My Butt! a lot more.

Thank you to NetGalley and Dover Publications for providing a digital ARC.

Premise: 2/5
Meter: 2/5
Writing: 2/5
Illustrations: 3/5
Originality: 3/5

Enjoyment: 2/5

Overall: 2.29 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment