Friday, February 21, 2020

Review - Poo Bum

Poo Bum
by Stephanie Blake
Date: 2011
Publisher: Gecko Press
Reading level: C
Book type: picture book
Pages: 32
Format: e-book
Source: NetGalley

Once there was a little rabbit who could only say one thing... In the morning his mother would say, "Time to get up, my little rabbit!" He'd reply: "Poo bum!" At lunchtime his father would say, "Eat your spinach, my little rabbit!" He'd reply: "Poo bum!" One day, he meets a hungry wolf. Will the little rabbit learn his lesson once and for all?

(synopsis from NetGalley; see it on Goodreads)

This book may be a masterpiece.

I've read so many children's books that, when one of them stands out, I notice. Poo Bum is simplistic, with no lessons learned. The illustrations are garish and silly. The story consists of a rabbit repeating a scatological phrase. But, you know what? It made me laugh. I can totally see this being a favourite of little kids, thanks to its hilarious absurdity.

I don't know what else to say, other than, "Find your kids a copy." You'll thank me later (or maybe not).

Thank you to NetGalley and Gecko Press for providing a digital ARC.

Premise: 4/5
Meter: n/a
Writing: 4/5
Illustrations: 4/5
Originality: 5/5

Enjoyment: 5/5

Overall: 4.5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment