Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Review - I'm the Biggest Thing in the Ocean

I'm the Biggest Thing in the Ocean
by Kevin Sherry
Date: 2007
Publisher: Dial Books
Reading level: C
Book type: picture book
Pages: 32
Format: e-book
Source: library

When a giant squid takes inventory of all of the creatures in the ocean, he realizes that he's way bigger than most of them! Of course, there are bigger things lurking around . . . but maybe this giant squid with a giant touch of hubris doesn't really care? First-time author-illustrator Kevin Sherry is sure to garner fans of all sizes for his perfect-for-preschool read-aloud with simple text, bold and delightful collage art, and a lovable squid whose spirit just cannot be crushed.

(synopsis from Goodreads)

I don't get it. I mean, I get it, but I don't understand why it's supposed to be so entertaining. I guess I'm not the audience.

A squid goes around telling us that he's bigger than this and that creature in the ocean. He's right, of course... until he encounters something bigger than himself. Undeterred, he uses his unique perspective to make sure he's still the biggest in his current situation.

I guess this could be funny the first time, but after that, it's likely to get tedious. The illustrations aren't really my cup of tea, either (although, I did find the squid's comeuppance kind of amusing... even if the drawings aren't scientifically accurate).

Premise: 2/5
Meter: n/a
Writing: 3/5
Illustrations: 2/5
Originality: 3/5

Enjoyment: 2/5

Overall: 2.33 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment