Friday, December 9, 2011

Review - I Heart You, You Haunt Me

I Heart You, You Haunt Me
by Lisa Schroeder
Date: 2008
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Reading level: YA
Book type: verse novel
Pages: 227
Format: paperback
Source: library

Girl meets boy.


Girl loses boy.


Girl gets boy back...


...sort of.

Ava can't see him or touch him, unless she's dreaming. She can't hear his voice, except for the faint whispers in her mind. Most would think she's crazy, but she knows he's here.

Jackson. The boy Ava thought she'd spend the rest of her life with. He's back from the dead, as proof that love truly knows no bounds.

(synopsis from Goodreads)

I've been feeling like I haven't read enough books this year.  I'm able to fly through verse novels pretty quickly, though, so I thought I'd try to find some to help pad out my 2011 reading list.  I read Lisa Schroeder's The Day Before back in June, and I quite enjoyed it.  So I thought I'd read this earlier work about a girl who's in love with a ghost.

The writing in this one didn't wow me like the writing in TDB.  There's nothing wrong with the writing; it just didn't knock my socks off.  I did, however, enjoy the story more in this book.  The characterization was better and I liked the supernatural element.  There also seemed to be more of a positive character arc in this book (I'm still not sold on the decision the main character made in TDB).

Overall, it was a good story with interesting characters, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.  I guess I'm becoming a Lisa Schroeder fan; it's probably inevitable that Chasing Brooklyn and Far From You will end up on my wish list (and probably in the TBR pile).

Plot: 4/5
Characters: 4/5
Pace: 5/5
Writing: 4/5
Editing: 5/5
Originality: 4/5
Enjoyment: 4/5

Overall: 4.29 out of 5

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a sweet love story. I've never heard of this author before. I've added it to my wanna read list. :)

    Thanks!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Lisa's books. My favorite of hers is Far From You. Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my favourite one so far but I haven't read the new one and Brooklyn yet.

    It was also my first intro to Verse Novels, I have read many since but that is still the favourite.

    ReplyDelete