Saturday, January 1, 2011

Book Blogging Resolutions for 2011

1. I will try to cut back on buying books.  I've already got a crazy TBR pile, and I really don't need any more books until I get through what I have.  I am going to make exceptions for two books, though: Tempestuous by Lesley Livingston (because I love the series and I was going to buy it anyway) and The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (which I had from the library and couldn't finish before it was due).

2. I will give myself permission to stop reading a book if I'm just not loving it.  I'm not sure what rule I'm going to impose for myself yet (a 50-page rule?  a 1/3 rule?), but I think I need to do this so I don't end up completely hating books by the end of 2011.  If I do give up on a book, I will still review it, but it will be clearly marked as a DNF and I'll explain why I couldn't finish.

3. I will try to expand my reading horizons a little bit and choose some different books to read.  This may be a little difficult to do (see resolution #1), but I'm hoping that the library and NetGalley can provide some interesting reads to help me branch out a bit.  I'm still going to read mostly YA, but maybe not so much YA fantasy (I could try some YA contemporary stuff, for example).

10 comments:

  1. I have such a hard time with quitting books, even when I dislike them. But there are too many wonderful books begging for our attention to waste our time reading books we dislike. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rarely buy books ... I use the library.

    If a book isn't grabbing me, I say "Next!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I should have the same resolutions as you but I don't like to make them :-)

    I have a problem with not buying books too. I haven't added to my gift cards so that helps me budget some but I'm still addicted to buying

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you on try to cut back on buying books... so far my strategy is nilch. I'll have to come back to you as my partner in "We can do it" low moments.

    Here's to 2011 and let's keep our resolutions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a bookaholic so I don't think I could just stop buying books, so good luck with res. 1. :)

    I give a book about a hundred pages and if I can't get into it then I move on..I have to many books to linger on something that is not thrilling me..for ex. I liked The Maze Runner but it took over a hundred pages for me to really get into what was going on and like it. :)

    I have branched out a little with my reading but I do really need to get out of my comfort zone too.

    One of my big resolutions for my book blog is to spend more time on it, getting author interviews, etc. Making it a better blog.

    Good luck with your reading for 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm the same, i need to stop buying books, i have over 100 i've bought but not read it's ridiculous, and i hardly ever give up on a book. Only ever given up on 2, but don't like doing it. Shouldn't waste my time really but it's hard.

    Hope you do well with your resolutions :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think number 2's great!
    And I really need to do Number 3 too...
    Good luck :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Number 1 is a big problem for me too. I have about forty books that I've bought but not read and it keeps increasing. I'll go to a used bookstore, or read a good review about a book, or see a book on the clearance shelf at borders and the next thing you know, I have six new books that I don't have time to read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are great goals! :) I especially agree with the DNF one. I too beat myself up with this issue. When to stop? Why I'm stopping etc.

    Happy 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great goals! I have good luck adhering to the 50-page rule, which I like because it's Nancy Pearl's rule and she's, like, a librarian's librarian.

    ReplyDelete