Sunday, July 7, 2019

Review - My Mommy Medicine

My Mommy Medicine
by Edwidge Danticat
illustrated by Shannon Wright
Date: 2019
Publisher: Roaring Brook Press
Reading level: C
Book type: picture book
Pages: 32
Format: e-book
Source: library

My Mommy Medicine is a picture book about the comfort and love a mama offers when her child isn't feeling well, from renowned author Edwidge Danticat.

Whenever I am sick,
Or just feel kind of gloomy or sad,
I can always count on my Mommy Medicine.


When a child wakes up feeling sick, she is treated to a good dose of Mommy Medicine. Her remedy includes a yummy cup of hot chocolate; a cozy, bubble-filled bath time; and unlimited snuggles and cuddles. Mommy Medicine can heal all woes and make any day the BEST day!

Award-winning memoirist Edwidge Danticat's rich and lyrical text envelops the reader in the security of a mother's love, and debut artist Shannon Wright's vibrant art infuses the story with even more warmth.

(synopsis from Goodreads)

This lovely little picture book would be so nice to read to a child who's stuck at home, sick. Here we have a little girl who details all the various ways her mom makes her feel better when she's sick or sad. She calls these things her "Mommy Medicine". They could be as simple as hugs and soup, or as complex as songs and imaginative play.

The illustrations are really cute, showing the loving relationship between a little girl and her mother. Each of the different types of Mommy Medicine are pictured with colourful, appealing imagery.

I've read picture books about being sick before, but they've mainly just focused on the basics (rest, fluids, and medicine). While those are covered here, there's also the added element of the mother's love and attention, which can be just as important for healing.

Overall, I quite enjoyed this. I think I would've liked to have this one read to me as a child when I was sick. As an adult, though, it makes me appreciate all the ways our moms helped us when we weren't feeling our best. As it turns out, Mommy Medicine works pretty well.

Quotable moment:


Premise: 5/5
Meter: n/a
Writing: 4/5
Illustrations: 4/5
Originality: 5/5

Enjoyment: 4/5

Overall: 4.33 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment