Sunday, July 7, 2019

Review - I Don't Want to Eat Bugs

I Don't Want to Eat Bugs (Lisbon's Misadventures #1)
by Rachel Branton
illustrated by Tim Petersen
Date: 2016
Publisher: White Star Press
Reading level: C
Book type: picture book
Pages: 30
Format: e-book
Source: Amazon.ca

Bugs are for the birds!

Lisbon is hungry and it’s hard to wait for dinner. When her animal friends try to help her find something tasty to eat, the real the problems begin! Join Lisbon on her funny misadventures.

Each beautiful illustration is designed to inspire the imaginations of children. An activity page at the end of the book allows for more fun as they search for special items in the illustrations.

(synopsis from Goodreads)

I'm not sure if I like this one or not. It's a very simple story about a little girl who gets hungry. Dinner's coming, but she just can't wait. Various animals suggest things for her to eat, but none of them--from bugs to mice to hedgehogs--sound that appealing. Eventually, she decides she wants ice cream. But her mom makes her eat dinner first, and she realizes that her favourite foods aren't the same things animals like at all.

I'm not sure exactly what the point or the message is supposed to be. There's no problem that Lisbon really needs to solve; all she has to do is wait for dinner. And I shuddered at the page where she was holding the live mouse; that's a great way to catch diseases if she happens to be bitten. I'm just not sure what the takeaway from this is supposed to be. If it's about patience, then it could've been clearer. I also don't really understand the point of the "find the hidden objects" bit at the end. What parent is going to want to sit around while their child tries to find 18 frogs and 31 black bugs (among other things)?

But... the illustrations are sort of cute. Lisbon's facial expressions are amusing, even though she's a bit of a funny-looking kid. (All the humans look kind of odd. I guess it's just the particular style used here.)

So... I'm not really sure how to rate this. Do I think it's an okay picture book? Yes. Do I think it will keep some kids engaged with the story? Yes. Would I want to read it again? Not particularly. I think that's the issue I'm having with this one; while it was fine for a quick read, there's really nothing in it that would make me want to reread it.

Premise: 2/5
Meter: n/a
Writing: 3/5
Illustrations: 3/5
Originality: 3/5

Enjoyment: 2/5

Overall: 2.5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment