Sunday, May 19, 2019

Review - The Pirate Cruncher

The Pirate Cruncher
by Jonny Duddle
Date: 2009
Publisher: Templar Books
Reading level: C
Book type: picture book
Pages: 38
Format: e-book
Source: Open Library

A hilarious picture book debut has a scurvy crew setting off for an island of gold, where an unexpected development awaits under the final flap.

I was sailing along and what did I see?
An island of GOLD in the scurvy sea!
But there’s one small thing I forgot to share —
there’s also a MONSTER waiting there.

A mysterious old pirate tells a tavern of salty seadogs about an island bursting with hidden treasure. But once they set sail, he also mentions that it is guarded by the terrible Pirate Cruncher. When the pirates’ greed gets the better of their fear, there’s a big surprise in store!

(synopsis from Goodreads)

This is the second of Jonny Duddle's pirate books I've read. The first one I read in French (which is not my first language) so I didn't really get the benefit of all the wordplay. In this book, we have a bunch of greedy pirates being led on a treasure hunt by an old fiddler who conveniently forgets to tell the pirates what's guarding the treasure...

The plot turned out to be just okay for me. I'm not sold on the ending. The pictures, though, are a lot of fun. I'd like to see more of Duddle's work simply for the illustrations.

So... this is just average. I'd still like to read the other book in this pirate series, though.

Premise: 3/5
Meter: 3/5
Writing: 3/5
Illustrations: 4/5
Originality: 4/5

Enjoyment: 3/5

Overall: 3.29 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment