Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Review - Little Pea

Little Pea (Little Books)
by Amy Krouse Rosenthal
illustrated by Jen Corace
Date: 2005
Publisher: Chronicle Books (CA)
Reading level: C
Book type: picture book
Pages: 36
Format: e-book
Source: library

If Little Pea doesn't eat all of his sweets, there will be no vegetables for dessert! What's a young pea to do? Children who have trouble swallowing their veggies will love the way this pea-size picture book serves up a playful story they can relate to.

(synopsis from Goodreads)

This is a cute little story that might appeal to picky eaters. Little Pea is... well, a pea. He lives with Papa Pea and Mama Pea and does fun stuff like getting flung off the end of cutlery by his father. But the one thing he doesn't like doing? Eating his dinner. All he wants is dessert, but he has to eat all of his dinner first. And for a pea, dinner is... candy.

The illustrations are simple but charming, and the illustrator managed to give personalities to a family of vegetables. My main complaint with this book (and it's really nothing to do with the book itself) is the e-book formatting. The text was one step ahead of the pictures throughout, which I found confusing until I figured out what was going on. So, if you're going to read this one, I'd suggest sticking with the physical version.


Premise: 4/5
Meter: n/a
Writing: 4/5
Illustrations: 3/5
Originality: 3/5

Enjoyment: 4/5

Overall: 3.67 out of 5


2 comments:

  1. Aww this sounds so cute! And also kind of like Veggie Tales 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe. I'm not actually familiar with Veggie Tales! (I mean, I've heard of it, but I think it was a little after my time.)

      Delete