Sunday, July 8, 2018

Review - Crescent Moons and Pointed Minarets

Crescent Moons and Pointed Minarets: A Muslim Book of Shapes
by Hena Khan
illustrated by Mehrdokht Amini
Date: 2018
Publisher: Chronicle Books
Reading level: C
Book type: picture book
Pages: 32
Format: e-book
Source: library

From a crescent moon to a square garden to an octagonal fountain, this breathtaking picture book celebrates the shapes--and traditions--of the Muslim world. Sure to inspire questions and observations about world religions and cultures, Crescent Moons and Pointed Minarets is equally at home in a classroom reading circle and on a parent's lap being read to a child.

(synopsis from Goodreads)

This is a beautiful little book that I happened to see at the library. At first, I thought it might be aimed at toddlers (considering that it's a "book of shapes"), but it would probably be a little better suited to children who are a bit older.

The illustrations are really gorgeous, incorporating a diverse cast of Muslim characters from all over the world, along with shapes and patterns and arabesques that give the book a unique flavour. If I had one complaint, it was that I didn't realize there was a glossary at the back, and I was confused throughout much of my first reading because there were a lot of words I didn't understand. Because of that, I thought that the book might only be suitable for Muslim children whose parents could explain these words. But after I found the glossary, I went back and read the book again, and it all made sense.

Overall, this is a great little picture book for teaching children about the art and architecture of Islam. I'd definitely recommend this one!

Quotable moment:

Oval is the table
where we break our fast.
When the sun sets,
it's iftar time at last.

Premise: 4/5
Meter: 3/5
Writing: 4/5
Illustrations: 4/5
Originality: 4/5

Enjoyment: 4/5

Overall: 3.86 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment