Tuesday, March 31, 2015

The Ladybug Looks Back... March 2015

Looking back...

I realized that I neglected to do a recap post at the end of February!  That's too bad, because it was actually not a bad reading month for me.  I reviewed three books, and I really enjoyed two of them.

The best book I've read so far this year was All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill, and I finished it in early February.  That was followed by Watch the Sky by Kirsten Hubbard, a rather weak middle grade contemporary that didn't offer enough concrete answers.  I finished up February with Beastkeeper by Cat Hellisen, which turned out to be an entertaining middle grade read that I could count toward the Fairytale Retelling Challenge.

In February, I also participated in Top Ten Tuesday twice.  The first topic was things I like or dislike when it comes to romance.  The second topic was my favourite heroines from historical fiction.

In March, I reviewed Unwind by Neal Shusterman.  I'd really been looking forward to that one, but it turned out to be a massive disappointment.  I'm not going to bother with the rest of the series.  Then I read Scarlet by Marissa Meyer, the second installment of The Lunar Chronicles.  I didn't like that one, either.

I also participated in Top Ten Tuesday a few times in March.  The first topic was my favourite books of the past three years.  Second was books for readers who like animals or pets.  Third was books from my childhood that I wouldn't mind reading again.  And, fourth, was books that I recently added to my TBR list.

Also, for something a little different, I did the Cake Book Tag, where I talked about my favourite book "ingredients".

Looking ahead...

At the moment, I'm reading two books, but they're so different that I'm not worried about getting the plots mixed up.  I'm working my way through Listen, Slowly by Thanhha Lai, a middle grade contemporary about a preteen from California who accompanies her grandmother to Vietnam for the summer.  I was expecting it to be a verse novel like the author's wonderful Inside Out & Back Again, but it's not.  That's okay, because it's quite good.  I'm also reading Stephen King's Carrie.  I saw the movie a couple of years ago (the original from the '70s) and I've wanted to try reading the book ever since.  I've never read a novel by Stephen King, and so many of his recent ones have scary page counts.  Carrie is nice and short, so I thought it would be a good one to start with in case I wasn't a fan of his writing.  But I'm liking the book so far.

I haven't yet decided what I'll read next.  I'll probably play it by ear, once I'm done with Listen, Slowly and Carrie.


How was your March?
Let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment