Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Review - Little Dog Lost

Little Dog Lost: The True Story of a Brave Dog Named Baltic
by Mônica Carnesi
illustrated by Mônica Carnesi
Date: 2012
Publisher: Nancy Paulsen Books
Reading level: C
Book type: picture book
Pages: 32
Format: e-book
Source: We Give Books

On a cold winter day, a curious dog wanders onto a frozen river, and before he knows it he is traveling fast on a sheet of ice. Many people try to help, but the dog can not be reached. Finally, after two nights and 75 miles, the little dog is saved by a ship out in the Baltic Sea.

(synopsis from Goodreads)

I remember hearing about this story a couple of years ago. As a dog lover, it intrigued me.  It would make an interesting basis for a great picture book.  Unfortunately, this book wasn't what I was looking for.

Yes, it is a picture book intended for a young audience.  However, I found the language much too simplistic, and almost condescending.  And when I read a picture book, I want great illustrations.  The pictures here were nothing special, and I wasn't impressed.

Overall, I'd probably never read this again, and I doubt I'd want to give it to a child.  This version didn't do the original captivating story justice at all.

Premise: 5/5
Meter: n/a
Writing: 1/5
Illustrations: 2/5
Originality: 3/5
Enjoyment: 1/5

Overall: 2.4 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment