Friday, March 23, 2012

Review - Goodnight iPad

Goodnight iPad
by Ann Droyd
Date: 2011
Publisher: Blue Rider Press
Reading level: A
Book type: picture book
Pages: 32
Format: e-book
Source: We Give Books

Modern life is abuzz. There are huge LCD WiFi HD TVs and Facebook requests and thumbs tapping texts and new viral clips of cats doing flips. Wouldn't it be nice to say goodnight to all that? Like the rest of us who cannot resist just a few more scrolls and clicks, you may find yourself ready for bed while still clinging to your electronics long after dark. This book, which is made of paper, is a reminder for the child in all of us to power down at the end of the day. This hilarious parody not only pokes loving fun at the bygone quiet of the original classic, but also at our modern plugged-in lives. It will make you laugh, and it will also help you put yourself and your machines to sleep. Don't worry, though. Your gadgets will be waiting for you, fully charged, in the morning.

(synopsis from Goodreads)

When I was a very small child, Goodnight Moon was one of my favourite books. I don't think I even have my copy anymore, as it wore out and fell apart and probably wasn't worth keeping (this was before they came out with the board book edition, I think).

If you remember Goodnight Moon from your own childhood (or if you've shared it with your own children), you'll probably delight in this satirical take on the classic.  With its deceptively simple (but important) message and charming illustrations, it's bound to give you a few giggles... and maybe even make you think about unplugging for a while!

It does seem a bit ironic that I read this book online at We Give Books.  But, actually, the book is only available for purchase in hard copy (there's no e-book edition)... which goes along perfectly with the message.

Premise: 5/5
Meter: 4/5
Writing: 4/5
Illustrations: 4/5
Originality: 4/5
Enjoyment: 5/5

Overall: 4.33 out of 5

2 comments:

  1. I loved Goodnight Moon when I was little too! I keep seeing this at my bookstore and I'm glad that you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book is awesome! A coworker showed it to me, and I decided I just have to show it to my sister (and nephews and niece - young though they are).

    ReplyDelete