Thursday, June 24, 2010

Top Ten Picks: Favorite Writers


Top Ten Picks is hosted by Jillian at Random Ramblings. This week, the topic is "Favorite Writers".

10. Kit Pearson
A Handful of Time; Awake and Dreaming

The first Kit Pearson book I read was A Handful of Time, which I really enjoyed. Then came the Guests of War trilogy. There's just something about this author's writing that transports you to another time and place. Though she writes mostly middle-grade fiction, her books can easily be enjoyed by other age groups.






9. Gail Carson Levine
Ella Enchanted; The Two Princesses of Bamarre

This middle-grade author is one of my favourites. Her fairytale-based stories are just so much fun... and her characters are unforgettable. Even if you've seen the movie version of Ella Enchanted, I recommend reading the book as well; they're so different, they can't really be compared.






8. Michelle Magorian
Goodnight Mister Tom; A Spoonful of Jam

Many people have probably heard of Goodnight Mister Tom. But this writer has authored a number of other highly enjoyable books. Many are set during or just after World War 2, so if you like recent historical fiction, you may enjoy Magorian's books.






7. Laura Whitcomb
A Certain Slant of Light; The Fetch

Though this author has only authored two novels so far, she's one of my favourites. Her style of writing is just... delicious. Very evocative without degenerating into purple prose. If I could read one book just for the writing itself, it would probably be A Certain Slant of Light. I was hooked by the prose from the very first page.





6. Lucy Maud Montgomery
Anne of Green Gables; Emily of New Moon

Historical Prince Edward Island, unforgettable characters, and a bit of romance. Do I really need to explain why this author is on the list?








5. Jane Austen
Sense and Sensibility; Pride and Prejudice

This author is on my list even though I've never actually finished a Jane Austen novel (though I did make it more than halfway through Sense and Sensibility and I'm slowly -- very slowly! -- working my way through Pride and Prejudice). I have, however, seen most of Austen's works as movie adaptations, and I like the stories. It's wonderful to be able to experience a distant time and place through the writings of someone who was actually there.




4. Alison Baird
The Hidden World; The Witches of Willowmere

I loved The Hidden World, with its melding of present-day Newfoundland with a Celtic myth-based fantasy world. And then came the Willowmere Chronicles, which is probably my favourite YA book series of all time (well, so far). This Canadian author's books may not be that easy to find, but they're definitely worth checking out.





3. Charles de Lint
Yarrow; Trader

Here's another Canadian author that I really like. While I haven't been that crazy about some of his recent works, his older books are completely awesome. This guy is the king of urban fantasy. Most of his books are for adults, though he has written a few for younger readers. I highly recommend The Blue Girl, one of his YA titles.





2. Beverly Cleary
Ramona the Brave; Ramona's World

How could I have a list of favourite authors without Beverly Cleary? This writer was one of my favourites when I was a kid. I eagerly read all of the books about Ramona Quimby and her family. And then I read many of her other titles as well, getting acquainted with Henry Huggins and Ellen Tebbits and Leigh Botts. Cleary's books are classics, and I hope kids will be reading them for generations to come.




1. Diana Wynne Jones
Fire and Hemlock; Howl's Moving Castle

If I had to pick one author who wrote the largest number of books that I enjoyed the most, it would have to be Diana Wynne Jones. This fantasy author has been writing for years, so there are many stories to choose from. My favourites are Fire and Hemlock and Howl's Moving Castle... but Dogsbody, The Homeward Bounders, Hexwood, and Deep Secret are all highly entertaining as well.

7 comments:

  1. I loved Beverly Cleary! Did you hear they are going to make a movie about Ramona? Ramona & Beezus

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Anne of the Island waiting for me :)

    and am new Jane Austen fan :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list. I'm really hearing a lot about Diana lately-I should read a book of hers.

    :)
    Katherine-check out my connection here-
    www.literaryloves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I definitely agree with #6, #3, and #2! While Charles de Lint can be a hit or miss for me, I generally really love the way he writes. Very poetic, in a way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh look at you, using author photos and everything :) Nicely done!

    I remember reading a lot of Beverly Cleary but haven't in ages... Nice list, thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've got some great picks here! I *love* Ella Enchanted, it's one of my favorite fairytale retellings. Also I adored the Ramona series when I was younger. And I really liked Kit Pearson's Guests of War trilogy too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved Beverly when I was a kid. I haven't tried to re-read to see how I feel about them now.
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete