Thursday, December 23, 2021

Review - Draw Me a Star

Draw Me a Star

by Eric Carle
Date: 1992
Publisher: World of Eric Carle
Reading level: C
Book type: picture book
Pages: 40
Format: e-book
Source: library

Draw me a star. And the artist drew a star. It was a good star. Draw me a sun, said the star. And the artist drew a sun. And on the artist draws, bringing the world to life picture by beautiful picture until he is spirited across the night sky by a star that shines on all he has made. In Draw Me a Star, Eric Carle celebrates the imagination in all of us with a beguiling story about a young artist who creates a world of light and possibility.

(synopsis from Goodreads)

I don't remember being a fan of Eric Carle books when I was a kid. In fact, I'm not sure if I even read any of them! I certainly wouldn't have read this one, which was published when I was a teenager.

To be honest, I'm not sure if I would've liked this book as a child. I'm not really a fan of the art style. The story itself is fine, although it does seem to veer into Biblical territory a bit. And I think this is the first time I've ever seen nudity in a picture book aimed at children. I do like how the artist ages as the story goes along, and the author's note at the end is interesting.

Fans of Carle might enjoy this. But I'm not sure if I picked the best representative of his work to start with. I'll have to see what other Eric Carle books our library has.

Premise: 3/5
Meter: n/a
Writing: 3/5
Illustrations: 3/5
Originality: 3/5

Enjoyment: 3/5

Overall: 3 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment