Saturday, March 28, 2020

Review - Olivia

Olivia (Olivia #1)
by Ian Falconer
Date: 2000
Publisher: Atheneum Books for Young Readers
Reading level: C
Book type: picture book
Pages: 40
Format: e-book
Source: library

Have fun with Olivia... dressing up, singing songs, building sand castles, napping (maybe), dancing, painting on walls and - whew! - going to sleep at last.

(synopsis from Goodreads)

I read Olivia the Spy last year, but I wasn't that impressed. Sometimes sequels aren't as good as the originals. That's certainly the case here, and though I didn't love Olivia, I thought it was somewhat charming and entertaining.

I think what I'm grappling with is the way Olivia and her mother say, "I love you anyway." I can't quite put my finger on why that bothers me, but it does.

Overall, it's not bad. It shows a spunky little pig who definitely likes getting her own way. Many parents of young children will likely be able to relate.

Premise: 3/5
Meter: n/a
Writing: 3/5
Illustrations: 4/5
Originality: 3/5

Enjoyment: 3/5

Overall: 3.17 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment