Monday, August 5, 2019

Review - Herding Cats

Herding Cats (Sarah's Scribbles #3)
by Sarah Andersen
Date: 2018
Publisher: Andrews McMeel Publishing
Reading level: A
Book type: comic collection
Pages: 112
Format: e-book
Source: library

Sarah valiantly struggles with waking up in the morning, being productive, and dealing with social situations.

Sarah's Scribbles is the comic strip that follows her life, finding humor in living as an adulting introvert that is at times weird, awkward, and embarrassing.

(synopsis from Goodreads)

Herding Cats is the third installment in the Sarah's Scribbles series of books. I read Big Mushy Happy Lump last year, but I still haven't managed to track down a copy of the first book yet. It doesn't really matter, though; these titles can stand on their own.

This is a collection of comics that poke fun at our neuroses and make astute observations about today's world. I bookmarked so many of the comics as I went through this volume, and had a hard time deciding which one I liked the best. There's so much to laugh at... and to relate to. As an Xennial, I might be a little bit older than the majority of Andersen's audience, but I still get a chuckle out of a lot of the situations she depicts in her drawings.

That said, the drawing style didn't really speak to me here as much. There are a lot of panels that use blurring for effect, and I don't like the way it looks. (I can't remember the previous volume having as much of this.) On the plus side, though, there's a little guide by Andersen at the end called "Making Stuff in the Modern Era: A Guide for the Young Creative" that's basically a humorous cheerleading section full of encouragement for artists (and a bit of commentary on Internet culture). It's worth a read, especially if you're a creative type who likes to "make stuff".

Overall, I think I enjoyed this one about the same amount as I enjoyed Big Mushy Happy Lump. Now I just need to see if I can find Adulthood Is a Myth.

Quotable moment:


Writing & Editing: 4/5
Illustration: 4/5
Originality: 4/5

Enjoyment: 4/5

Overall Rating: 4 out of 5 ladybugs

No comments:

Post a Comment