Monday, January 21, 2019

Review - Moon

Moon
by Alison Oliver
Date: 2018
Publisher: Clarion Books
Reading level: C
Book type: picture book
Pages: 40
Format: e-book
Source: library

Like many children, Moon leads a busy life. School, homework, music lessons, sports, and the next day it begins again. She wonders if things could be different. Then, one night, she meets a wolf.

The wolf takes Moon deep into the dark, fantastical forest and there she learns to howl, how to hide, how to be still, and how to be wild. And in that, she learns what it's like to be free.

This simply worded and stunningly illustrated story reveals the joy to be found in play, nature, and, most of all, embracing the wild in us all.

(synopsis from Goodreads)

I picked this book up because of the beautiful cover. Of course, it ended up being another one of those books with kids following wild animal tracks into potential danger. (I can sure pick them today!)

Unlike the other book I read today that could've ended with kids getting eaten (The New LiBEARian by Alison Donald), this one was about wolves rather than bears. I'm not entirely sure it was supposed to be literal or if it all took place in Moon's imagination. In any case, it showed her following a set of wolf tracks and then going to play with the wolves all night in the forest.

I can't fault the message about getting back to nature and learning to be a little wild. However, in books like this I'd like to see the line between fantasy and reality a little more clearly demarcated.

The illustrations aren't as great as I thought they'd be, judging by the cover. They're atmospheric, certainly, but kind of simple. Moon is a strange-looking kid (especially in profile) and the wolves are kind of funny looking (especially their toes). I'm still not sure if I like the pictures in this one.

Overall, I didn't find this one quite as problematic as The New LiBEARian, although I would still recommend it more to older kids who can understand that following wild wolves into the forest is not a great idea.

Premise: 3/5
Meter: n/a
Writing: 3/5
Illustrations: 3/5
Originality: 3/5

Enjoyment: 2/5

Overall: 2.67 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment