Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Review - Max's Christmas

Max's Christmas (Max and Ruby)
by Rosemary Wells
Date: 1986
Publisher: Puffin Books
Reading level: C
Book type: picture book
Pages: 32
Format: e-book
Source: library

It's Christmas Eve and Max is determined to wait up for Santa.

"No, Max," says his big sister, Ruby. "Nobody ever sees Santa Claus."

But Max tiptoes downstairs, where he hopes to meet a very special visitor.

(synopsis from Goodreads)

It's been a long time since I read any books about Max and Ruby, a couple of funny-looking rabbit siblings. I may have seen this one in my childhood, but if I did, I don't remember... so it was like reading it for the first time.

Max is always asking, "Why?" and, for the most part, the people around him don't seem to know the answers... other than, "Because." As Ruby gets Max ready for bed, she tells him about how Santa Claus is going to come. Of course, Max wants to know how Santa's going to get down the chimney. Ruby shuts him up with, "That's enough questions, Max."

But Max wants his questions answered, so he sneaks downstairs to wait for Santa. When the big guy arrives, Max has even more questions for him. Santa, to his credit, tries to answer as best he can... for the most part.

The pictures are simple, and kind of nostalgic for me, since I do remember these characters from my childhood. Everyone's drawn as a fat bunny rabbit. How can that not be cute?

Overall, this is one of the stronger Christmas picture books I've read so far this year. I didn't love it, but I think it'll appeal to kids more than adults, anyway.


Premise: 3/5
Meter: n/a
Writing: 3/5
Illustrations: 3/5
Originality: 3/5

Enjoyment: 3/5

Overall: 3 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment