Sunday, November 11, 2018

Review - If I Had a Horse

If I Had a Horse
by Gianna Marino
Date: 2018
Publisher: Roaring Brook Press
Reading level: C
Book type: picture book
Pages: 40
Format: e-book
Source: library

If I Had a Horse is an inspiring picture book with simple text and gorgeous, impressionistic artwork from acclaimed author-illustrator Gianna Marino about a girl imagining what life would be like with a horse.

(synopsis from Goodreads)

This book is a little confusing, and I'm not sure I'm entirely on board with the idea. It's one thing for a kid to want a horse... but it's another for them to want a wild horse to tame and ride and use as a pet. I wasn't a fan of that.

However, the watercolour illustrations are just lovely, and convey the sense of freedom and adventure that I'm sure the story was trying to give the reader. The pictures are likely where this book will pick up most of its fans... because I'm not sure if even horse-crazy little girls will be that interested in the idea of trying to tame wild horses.

Quotable moment:


Premise: 2/5
Meter: n/a
Writing: 3/5
Illustrations: 4/5
Originality: 3/5

Enjoyment: 3/5

Overall: 3 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment