Friday, October 5, 2018

Review - The Library of Lost Things

The Library of Lost Things
by Matthew Bright
Date: 2017
Publisher: Tor.com
Reading level: A
Book type: short story
Pages: 19
Format: e-book
Source: Tor.com

Welcome to the Library of Lost Things, where the shelves are stuffed with books that have fallen through the cracks—from volumes of lovelorn teenage poetry to famous works of literature long destroyed or lost. They’re all here, pulled from history and watched over by the Librarian, curated by the Collectors, nibbled on by the rats. Filed away, never to be read. At least, until Thomas, the boy with the secret, comes to the Library.

(synopsis from Goodreads)

I think the idea of this story is probably better than its execution. I liked the idea of a library where lost things are kept: old diaries, first drafts, emo poetry that you wrote when you were a tween. The writing, though... well, it wasn't really my style. The writing comes across as fairly literary (although it at least uses standard punctuation for dialogue and doesn't resort to using weird points of view). I especially liked the rats with their vocabularies of archaic and underused words. The plot was decent, and I liked how Thomas used the hint he was given to outwit the villain.

This was sort of middle-of-the-road for me. I don't really feel passionate about it either way. Some people will probably like this more than I did, especially if they don't mind a bit of insta-love. (Where did that even come from?) All in all, this wasn't terribly memorable for me, but I can see that it might have more appeal for others.

Quotable moment:

The Librarian sniffed again. “Most incomprehensible.” He departed, dragging his long coat on the ground, which rather than wiping them bare instead lined the flagstones with dust in his wake.

Plot: 3/5
Characters: 3/5
Pace: 3/5
Writing & Editing: 2/5
Originality: 4/5

Enjoyment: 3/5

Overall Rating: 3 out of 5 ladybugs


No comments:

Post a Comment