Tuesday, December 29, 2015

The Ladybug's Top Reads of 2015


I read 37 books this year... although that includes a couple of novellas and short stories. That's not very many books, and I wish I could at least say that all of what I read was of high quality. Unfortunately, those 37 books were kind of a mixed bag. But I did read some highly enjoyable titles in 2015, and I'm still thinking about some of the more memorable stories, even now. So here are my top reads of the year; I'd recommend all of these books. (Click on the titles to read my reviews.)

10.
by Leigh Bardugo

3.38 ladybugs


This is the only one of the companion stories set in the world of the Grisha that I've read so far, and I did enjoy it. It added some more backstory for one of the characters, which was nice to see.

9.

by Octavia E. Butler

by Intisar Khanani

by Stacey Lee

3.5 ladybugs


At first glance, these books might look very different, but they all have a few things in common. Two take place in the past, and one takes place in a fantasy world that sort of resembles the past. All three feature strong female protagonists. And nobody could accuse these particular books of not being diverse!

8.

by Cat Winters

3.63 ladybugs


Historical fiction often seems to feature prominently on my lists of favourites, even though it's not a genre I consciously gravitate towards. This novel, set in 1918 during the Spanish flu pandemic, has a supernatural element that sets it a little bit apart.

7.

by Cynthia Lord

3.75 ladybugs


This middle grade novel about friendship and family is really sweet. It taught me things about settings and situations with which I'm not all that familiar. The characters are nicely developed, and the blueberry industry features prominently in the story. I've still got a hankering for blueberry enchiladas!

6.

by Rosamund Hodge

3.88 ladybugs


I'd seen a lot of hype for this book, so I was a little wary going into it; I don't always like books with a lot of hype (just call me a bookish black sheep). But, I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised by this one. While it wasn't the best "Beauty and the Beast" retelling I've ever read, it was certainly unique. I really enjoyed the Greco-Roman influences throughout the story.

5.

by E. D. Baker

4 ladybugs


This is one of the cutest fairytale retellings I've read. While it is a middle grade title, I didn't find that that diminished my enjoyment of the story. The characters are great (especially the protagonist) and the way the author incorporated multiple fairytales into the plot was magical. This is just the first book in a series... and I hope I get a chance to read some of the sequels!

4.

by Stephen King

by Thanhha Lai

4.13 ladybugs


About the only thing these two books have in common is that they have coming-of-age elements. But one is gory horror while the other is a sweet, funny story about family. Still, I'd recommend both, as each book carries an important message.

3.

by Holly Bodger

by Leigh Bardugo

by Natalie Babbitt

4.25 ladybugs


In third place, we have a dystopian novel written half in verse, a fantasy, and a historical fantasy. One was released this year, and one many years ago. Two books have beautiful writing. All three tell engaging stories.

2.

by Cat Hellisen

by Markus Zusak

4.38 ladybugs


Interestingly, these books feature main characters of around the same age, as well as emotional family stories (though one is more heart-wrenching than the other).

1.

by Cristin Terrill

by Kate DiCamillo

by Erin Bow

4.5 ladybugs


These books are my favourites of 2015. Time travel, typing squirrels, and enchanted talking cats. What's not to love? I hope that 2016 will bring some reads that I enjoy just as much as these wonderful books.


What are some of the best books you read in 2015?


2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful variety of reads, looks like a great year of reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very varied year! I read some genres that I don't usually read. It was a nice change of pace.

      Delete