Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday - Top Ten Books For Readers Who Like Character Driven Novels

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted at The Broke and the Bookish.

This week's topic is Top Ten Books For Readers Who Like Character Driven Novels.  This might be a little tricky, since I read mainly YA and strong characterization is not always on the menu:

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver - Though this book has some paranormal elements to the plot, it's really about the characters and their relationships.

Eli the Good by Silas House - This is historical fiction with a definite sense of time and place.  The setting is almost a character in its own right, and provides the backdrop for a story about family.

Heaven Looks A Lot Like the Mall by Wendy Mass - I don't know if you could find a more character-driven novel than this one.  It's all about the main character and her life before getting hit with a dodge ball in gym class.

Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey - The characters are what set this book apart from all the other YA vampire tales.  They're developed well (even the secondary characters) and their words and actions lend a light touch of humour to this fun story.

The Lost Crown by Sarah Miller - Since the plot of this story is basically historical facts, it falls to the characters to make this novel interesting.  The author did a great job differentiating the voices and personalities of the four Russian princesses.

My Name Is Memory by Ann Brashares - Though there are multiple points of view, Daniel's narration is really what drives the story.  He's such a cool character, with such an interesting life... well, lives, actually.  A guy who can remember all of his past lives would be a blast to have at dinner parties!

Pictures of Hollis Woods by Patricia Reilly Giff - The voice of a vulnerable foster kid is really what makes this book work.  Though it's a middle-grade title, it's written so well that adults will probably like reading Hollis's story, too.

Room by Emma Donoghue - Jack.  Need I say more?

Stolen by Lucy Christopher - While I'm still not sure exactly what type of person the narrator is, it's obvious that Ty is really the character who drives the plot in this story.  He's complex and so interesting... which is great for a villain!

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion - R is probably one of my favourite characters, and it's not because of what he is.  It's because he's insightful and complicated and probably pretty much the opposite of what you'd expect from a zombie.  The book just wouldn't have been the same (or as good) if we hadn't been in R's head the whole time!


What other character-driven novels would you recommend?

17 comments:

  1. I forgot to add Room to my list! It definitely was a character driven story with Jack! I haven't read any of the others on your list though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen most of my choices on other lists, either!

      Delete
  2. I'm nearly finished the Delirium series by Oliver, and I'm looking forward to reading more of her work! My Name Is Memory also looks really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Name Is Memory is really interesting!

      I haven't read any of the Delirium books yet (reviews seem mixed)... but I'm reading Liesl & Po right now, and it's pretty cute so far. The author has such a nice way of writing...

      Delete
  3. Character driving novels are my favourite kind of reads, so the fact that I haven't read ANY of the titles on your list was a bit of a shock. My #1 pick would have to be Jennifer Estep's Elemental Assassin series, I have a mad girl crush on the heroine, Gin Blanco. Looks like I have some shopping to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't even heard of that series! It looks like urban fantasy... and I haven't really read much in that genre for a while (Charles de Lint was one of my first introductions to the genre).

      Delete
  4. I love character driven novels! I haven't read any of these! Warm Bodies is on my wish list though. I can't think of any right now. There are books where I liked the characters, but they weren't really character driven. Maybe the Accidental Alchemist. (It doesn't come out until next year though) Sinner by Maggie Stiefvater or Matched by Ally Condie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd definitely recommend Warm Bodies. It was one of the best books I read last year.

      I haven't heard of The Accidental Alchemist. I'll have to check it out!

      Delete
  5. How's Room? Never read it :)
    Here's my list. I've started doing them on YouTube as an experiment. Like and comment if you get a chance. :) http://youtu.be/tDhZFYVvH7U?list=UUP4Ao6fj3mLXHqOSSxyqh8w

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Room is really good. It's told from the perspective of a 5-year-old boy, which is kind of unique.

      Delete
  6. I love R! He cracks me up. I got about a quarter of the way through Room, before I had to give it back. I need to check it out from the library and finish it.

    The Fault in Our Stars is good, and you should get on that library list. Or see if someone will loan it to you. :)

    - Cassandra @ Wickedly Delicious Tales

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha... yeah. There's only 25 people ahead of me on the hold list for TFIOS! Maybe I'll get it by the end of the year...

      Delete
  7. Before I Fall is one of my favourite books. I like how the author writes. And it didn't hurt that it wasn't a straight contemporary; those little paranormal elements tend to capture my interest a little more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stolen is one I am dying to make time for! It sounds great and everyone raves about it. Great list!

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stolen is really good. It's not the type of book I usually gravitate toward, but I ended up enjoying it immensely!

      Delete
  9. Oh! I loved reading MY NAME IS MEMORY. Thanks for the other suggestions.

    ReplyDelete