Thursday, June 12, 2014

Booking Through Thursday (29)



Booking Through Thursday asks:

How do you feel about explicit detail in your reading? Whether language, sex, violence, situations and so on … does it bother you? Faze you at all? Or do you just read everything without it bothering you?

R-rated stuff (language, sex, violence, situations, etc.) doesn't usually bother me.  If it's really extreme, I might put the book down; I do have my limits (especially when it comes to gore).  But it's not like I'll go out of my way to avoid a book just because I've heard it has bad language or violent scenes.

That said, it does bother me when these R-rated things appear in places where it's not appropriate or where I'm not expecting it (because of the genre or reading level of the book).  For example, the last book I read had lots of kissing and an implied sexual encounter... in a retelling of Peter Pan with a cute cover that might attract middle-grade readers.  That's the sort of situation where explicit details bother me.

2 comments:

  1. This is exactly my thoughts on this subject as well. I don't mind it, but it better make sense and be appropriate for the book I'm finding it in. And do not surprise me with it when there are no hints it was coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can take gore to some extent but too explicit is a big no no for me!

    Here is my BTT post.

    ReplyDelete