Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday - Mean Girls

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted at The Broke and the Bookish.

This week's topic is Top Ten Mean Girls in Books:

10. Bridget from Here Lies Bridget by Paige Harbison - I actually hated this book, but the reason I did was because the main character was just so awful.  So she had to make this list!
9. Cathy from Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë - I've never read the book (though I've tried to more than once), but I'm familiar with the character from movie adaptations.  WTF is wrong with all the people in that book?  They're all in desperate need of some sort of therapy (or medication).
8. Georgia from Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging by Louise Rennison - Maybe she gets better by the end of the series, but the first three books were enough to convince me that Georgia is a little bitch who really needs a good bite in the ass from karma.
7. Bella from Twilight by Stephenie Meyer - If she's not jerking around the two supernatural men in her life, she's playing games with her human friends and family because they're not supernatural.  Self-centred, selfish, and an utterly shallow bore: what more could you ask for in a mean girl?
6. President Coin from Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins - Okay, so she's not the typical, catty mean girl.  But she's willing to kill children for her cause, which puts her pretty high up on the meanness scale.
5. Mrs. Coulter from The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman - This is one scary lady and definitely not to be trusted... even if she is your own mother.
4. Hattie from Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine - The character is a bit different in the book than she is in the movie, but she's still entirely unpleasant in any case.  I couldn't help but feel a tiny bit sorry for her, though, as she was very obviously a product of her mother's parenting; she didn't really have a chance to be anything other than mean.
3. Laurel from Fire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones - I don't like characters who stand in the way of true love, so Laurel had to be on this list.  She's nasty for another reason, too, but you'll have to read the book to find out what that is.
2. Attolia from The Queen of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner - She cuts off our main character's hand in the first few pages of the book.  I never could forgive her for that (and I never really forgave the author, either... Although the first book in the series is one of my all-time favourites, I couldn't get past this character's actions -- and the other characters' unrealistic reactions to those actions -- to read the rest of the series).
1. Sam from Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver - Sam is probably my favourite mean girl of them all... but not just because she was a pretty awful person at the beginning of the story.  Seeing how she changed throughout the book (thanks to Oliver's skilled storytelling) made me really like her as a character.  Sometimes the best mean girls are the ones who aren't just caricatures of evil; these are the ones who remind us that we all have a dark side, but that that dark side can be overcome if we just acknowledge it and commit to making a change.

9 comments:

  1. Oh yeah, bella is deffinitly on the list! And I have to agree with you about Cathy! Drugs is a possibility...

    Have I told you how much I love your blog? I think it's the third time I'm here! This place is GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list. I think it is great that you have book Bella and Cathy on your list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list of mean girls here! :) I've read or seen movies of a few of these characters and yep, they are the mean type. ;) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. **Clapping Hands** Thank you! for listing Bella from the Twilight series on your list. LOL You know I am a fan of the Twilight series. I will admit I enjoyed the series, but Bella was not one of my favorite characters. By the 3rd book, she irritated me and yes I thought she was a mean girl. She was very selfish but she was young and immature about love and life. I was laughing by the way at your comment on the character of Wuthering Heights. I haven't read that book and your comment has made me more intrigued to pick that one up and read it. My high school English teacher would approve. For whatever reason, it was always on his list of recommended literature to read. Love your blog by the way. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm surprised by how frequently Hattie is popping up on these lists - she made mine as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your list and rationales but I confess that I haven't read most of the books so I don't "know" these mean girls but it's nice to know that they are out there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Georgia really did have an attitude problem, however, it was also hard not to laugh at her antics.... she doesn't get much better. Also, I totally agree with Cathy and Bella.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree that Cathy from WH is a classic mean girl. And yes, just about everyone in the book could have done with regular dozes of either Prozac or Ritalin or simply just a knock on the head. Except Heathcliff, who would have benefited from a straitjacket.

    ReplyDelete