Sunday, September 26, 2021

Review - What Is It?

What Is It?

by Nicole Hoang
illustrated by Dustin Nguyen
Date: 2021
Publisher: KaBOOM!
Reading level: C
Book type: picture book
Pages: 48
Format: e-book
Source: library

It’s rather strange, I’d have to say.
I saw the thing just yesterday.
What is it?
What could it be?
Someone please answer this for me!

In a nearby forest, a young girl discovers a mysterious little creature. Together, they seek to understand who or what the other is.

Beautifully painted by Dustin Nguyen (Lil’ Gotham, Study Hall of Justice) and written by Nicole Hoang, What Is It? captures the curiosity, wonder, and discovery of childhood, where it’s still easy to be surprised by the unexpected.

(synopsis from Goodreads)

This book is strange, I'd have to say.
The strangest thing I've seen today.
What is this book?
What could it be?
Will someone please explain to me?

The rhymes are clunky.
The tone is off.
The pictures funky.
I'd like to scoff.

I'd really like to know the point
Of a creature so unpleasant.
The authors may have smoked a joint
Or ate some rancid pheasant.

This book just doesn't work for me.
I'm thinking that's subjective.
So I'll just stop while I'm ahead
And forgo the invective.

Premise: 1/5
Meter: 2/5
Writing: 1/5
Illustrations: 3/5
Originality: 2/5

Enjoyment: 1/5

Overall: 1.57 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment